I have been on a mission to incorporate quinoa into my diet at least once a week.
Quinoa, often described as a “superfood” is packed with protein, fiber, various vitamins and minerals. This soup is a modified version of numerous vegetarian and vegan tortilla soup recipes I found on the web. It can be prepped quickly; freezes well and is packed with veggies and protein. My little one loves it. Traditional tortilla soup is a Mexican cuisine; contains chicken and is topped with fried crispy tortilla strips, but since I am a vegetarian and I am all about quick meals, I served it with tortilla chips and it did not disappoint!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz.)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (15 oz.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup quinoa (washed and rinsed thoroughly)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is golden brown. Add the spices, salt and pepper, beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, vegetable broth and quinoa. Mix well. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Top with avocado, sour cream, cilantro and cheese (all optional).
- Serve with tortilla chips.