There are a LOT of recipes for zucchini boats out there, but here is my version – quick, easy, healthy, low carb, and of course vegetarian! OH and did I mention, it’s so flavorful and delicious. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- Zucchini (medium size) – 2
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
- Onion – 1/2 medium size
- Black beans – 1 can (canned or home cooked; I used canned because hello quick meals)
- Frozen corn – 1 cup
- Pasta sauce – 1 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste (~ 1/2 tsp)
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced into small pieces – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Garnish – scallion and cheese (as much or as little as you like and any kind you like)
- Trim off zucchini stem ends and cut in half (lengthwise). Scoop out zucchini from center and set aside.
- Brush olive oil inside zucchini base, sprinkle salt and pepper and bake for 15 min at 375 degrees.
- While zucchini base is baking, prepare the stuffing. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and cook for 3-4 min, until golden brown.
- Add minced garlic, zucchini flesh and saute for 2-3 min.
- Add black beans, frozen corn, salt, black pepper and pasta sauce. Mix well.
- Fill baked zucchini with mixture. Top with scallion, tomatoes and cheese. Bake at 375 degree for 3-5 min (until cheese melts).
- Feel free to experiment with the choice of vegetables. Bell pepper, broccoli, squash…you name it. You can prepare the stuffing with any vegetable of your choice.
- If you want to make this a Mexican meal, top your zucchini boat with sour cream and guacamole. Also substitute pasta sauce with enchilada sauce.